Monday, May 7, 2007

Further to my comment on Journalism

[in reply to AsifY’s comment]

When a journalist experience threat from a particular government or security officer, we all accuse the whole government for it. If I have read correctly, the post ‘here we go again’ pointed towards the government for misconduct of one RAB officer. But do we do the same when one journalist does a wrongdoing? Do we point towards the whole community?

In my understanding, when such attack happens to journalists, we should go against the person specifically responsible. If we present the person involved as an individual and have not done this under a government plan, it will also help us to convince the government to take actions against him. On the contrary, when we accuse the government as a whole, we just push the government to take defense and disregard the whole thing!
Isn’t it the same thing (defending) we (say you) would do if someone (say like me) accuses the whole group of journalists for the misconduct of one?

Let me also note here, the Editors also very often remain silent about the misconducts of other editors (except when there is a serious conflict of ‘business’ interest). We only accuse businessmen for becoming politicians, but have we talked much about businessmen becoming ‘Editors’ or editors becoming businessmen?

One clarification about using the word ‘paparazzi’. This is the closest word I found, but for good or bad in Bangladesh they do not hunt the actor or actress, they hunt the politicians, researchers, academicians, foreign delegates (remember how ‘they’ provoked Mahmudur Rahman to file case against five eminent citizens? Believe me, it was the journalists).

The only reason this discussion would fall under the category is that, these issues gives wrong impression about the whole community and sometimes can cause the problems that we were discussing.

[don’t get me wrong about journalists. my only brother, my cosines, my best friends, relatives all are journalists and I share these thoughts with them too]

2 comments:

a said...

Shuvro, I have left a reply for you on DP. Thank you again for your note.

I just wanted to say I really enjoyed your story of a backbencher. Wonderful, simply wonderful! For me it's as much about the hard work you did with your dedicated teachers, as it is about how people get new identities simply through other people.

I don't know if you are familiar with Bernard Shaw's "Pygmalion" (the film "My Fair Lady" is based on that). But in it, a flower girl is being tutored into being a duchess. At the end of the play, she tells her teacher that though he taught her to imitate royal manners, he never treated her like a royal.

I'm glad to see that your teachers did both. Once again, porey khub bhaalo laaglo.

Anonymous said...

Shuvro bhai,

Onek din porey tomakey dekhlaam online. Read at Rumi bhai's blog that you "used to" blog. Cherey dila keno? I really liked what I read here.

Feel free to delete this comment during moderation.